Tuesday 2 October 2012

Gigs, gigs, gigs.

One of my big themes for 2012 has been concert-going. At the start of the year I said that I was going to take a break from attending gigs for financial and energy reasons, so of course, every band that I have ever loved ever decided to come to Australia. Clearly the universe had other - better - plans for me.

Last weekend I went to the UNSW Roundhouse to see one of my all time favourite bands, rock/punk/pop outfit from Florida, Yellowcard. It was one of those nights that felt like it was over in a flash because I was having so much fun and was so caught up in every song they played - including the most heartfelt singalong to "Empty Apartment" I have witnessed. Especially when this was the fifth time I've seen the band live - and of course I'm not even counting all the car-aoke sessions that this song has featured in. And especially when this was an all-standing event, and I am somewhat vertically challenged with bad posture. But I didn't notice my back hurting once. 




I've been thinking a lot recently about how as humans, we have a need to feel like we are part of something bigger than ourselves, and how this manifests itself in so many different ways. Sport, religion, music, political activity, workaholic-ism...I'm sure I could think of a bunch more if I put some time into it.

For me, there is nothing better than the energy you can feel at a gig, where the love is flowing freely between the audience and the performer. This was my fifth time with Yellowcard, and they never fail to deliver. It has nothing to do with the size of the audience, the level of fame the band has, or how good the venue is. I felt it with twenty thousand other people watching Prince earlier this year. I felt it years ago watching a little known band called Limbeck play at The Annandale Hotel - not the Annandale, but the smaller hotel further up Paramatta Road. There would have been 100 people in that room - maybe - and it was pretty much the happiest place on earth that night. 

Over the next few months I'm looking forward to Lady Antebellum (this week! It's a little bit country and a little bit...well, country), Radiohead, Weezer, Band of Horses and hopefully Ben Harper if I can track down some tickets. I can't wait...




No comments:

Post a Comment